Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Solo Backpack:Valencia/ Dumaguete, Negros Oriental



IT for the Day: Casaroro Falls in Valencia and Remaining Dumaguete City Tour

valencia+town+plaza+negros+oriental.jpg
At the Valencia Town Plaza, Negros Oriental
-Breakfast at Jollibee
-Jeepney Terminal (Dumaguete-Valencia Route) Location Real Street corner Santa Rosa St.Fare P12. 20-Min Travel.
- Arrival at Valencia Public Plaza.


  
1st Stop: Valencia Town Proper

           -Municipal Hall, Our Lady of Abandoned Parrish (Paid Courtesy), Plaza

valencia+lady+abandoned+church.jpg


valencia+town+plaza+negros.jpg


valencia+town+plaza+negros.jpg


valencia+town+plaza+negros.jpg
Spanish Fountain
Hired Habal-Habal Ride to Casaroro Falls (P180)

                -6 KM Rough and Paved Road,Casaroro is under Brgy Apolong,during the travel you can see Mt Talinis from a far, will pass other tourist  spots such as Forest Camp,Japanese Shrine.

2nd Stop: Casaroro Falls

                -Entrance Fee of P10. But there’s no Attendant ,335 Steps/ Good trail going to the river.

During my visit, I was the only tourist and Thank God Kuya Fernando offered his service to guide me.After the 335th step, Kuya showed and informed  me that the Man-Made Trail to The Falls was destroyed during Typhoon Sendong last 2011 and we need to trek,climb those big rocks and cross the river."Kaya mo ba?" I replied "Ha?" I have No Choice, I’m already there.No Backing Out! Kailan Pa?
 
 
casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
Paved Trail


casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
Trekking Time

casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
Part of the Trail that has been destroyed
casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
We have to trek  with these big rocks. Haggard!
casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
Part of the Trail that has been destroyed
casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
I Have No Choice but to remove my Shoes
-It was Hot then so I Removed my Shirt because I forgot to bring any Extra Shirt  and still have a long day , and after a few walk, Kuya advised me to remove my shoes because we have to cross the river.  Pak! Im Topless and Barefooted until we reached  Casaroro Falls. My knees were trembling that time, rest for a while and Photo Op…
    Kuya said “ Adto ta dapit sa falls!” (Lets go near the Falls), I refuse “I don’t want to be wet because of the mist” in Bisaya. 
casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg


casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg


    The Challenge didn’t  end when I saw the falls, because we have to Go Back, same trail, same big rocks..same-same. Thank God the rocks and sand are smooth!
And the  Finale – Ascending Time of 335 Steps, Every 10-15 Steps we stopped,rest, exchanging stories,photo op..PHOTO OP? And then suddenly I saw a snake (2ft long-2inches width) crossed the trail.Wah! Maybe his Mother was mad, looking and chasing him… No More Stops!...I’m not Tired!, I’m Physically Fit! I Prepared for this! Go! Haha!...
Reach the Top (Entrance Again),Topless,Barefooted. Spell and Define HAGGARD!




casaroro+falls+valencia.jpg
Kuya Fernando, My guide
Tips and Information (Valencia)

-Bring Extra Clothes and Water
-Your Havaianas will turn to Habananas and Hawaiianas after trekking. (In short Won’t Survive)
-It’s more challenging compared to my Mambukal and Tinago Falls experience
-Kuya informed me that there was already a budget for rebuilding the trail but local government opted to use the funds for their constituents affected by the Typhoon Sendong. (Good Job! People First)
-According to Kuya, Valencia has a lot to offer, they Have Twin Falls, Twin Lakes, Hot Springs  and a 5 Hour Trekking Adventure  to Mt Talinis.

Back to Valencia Town Proper by 11 AM. As a token, I gave P250 (initially agreed P180).Kuya Fernando’s Number (+639994560396) .He is Honest, Polite and Secured! Daghang Salamat sa imo Kuya! Amping!

Bye Valencia. Hello Dumaguete by 11.30! (Jeepney Valencia-Dumaguete P12 Fare-20 Min Travel)


3rd Stop: Ceres Dumaguete Terminal (a Trike Ride from the Jeepney terminal P10Fare)
                -Got list of Bus Schedules for my Trip to Cebu the following morning
4th Stop: Robinsons Place Dumaguete ( a walk from Ceres Terminal)
                -Ate my Lunch at KFC, saw Sans Rival and BongBongs Branch there          


robinsons+place+dumaguete.jpg
 

              - Cigarette Break (in front of the Mall near  Calindagan road,when 2 Policemen approached me and politely said “It is prohibited to smoke within this area” in Bisaya and I replied “ I’m Sorry Sir, I don’t know, threw my cigarette butt  inside my half-empty Mineral Water Bottle, left and hailed a tricycle. Maybe they’ll change their mind and let me fine. (From that hour, I’m now aware that Dumaguete is strictly implementing a  No Smoking Ordinance- I saw a lot of Establishments with No Smoking Signage- Fine Fee P10,000).

5th Stop: Capitol Grounds (a trike ride from Robinsons P15 Fare)

                -Employees were cleaning the Capitol Grounds from the recent concluded Buglasan Festival last Oct 20-21.

negros+oriental+capitol.jpg


Capitol Grounds


Left Side of the Capitol

















6th Stop: Hayahay Treehouse RestoBar (a trike ride from Capitol P20 Fare)

                -Recommended by TripAdvisor, Restaurant (Dampa-Style) and Bar by Nightime. They also serve Lunch. Had a Bottle of Beer(P45), Photo op and feel the ambiance. Very “Hayahay Nga Kaayo Dire!”


  
hayahay+dumaguete.jpg
Hayahay Treehouse


trip+advisor+hayahay.jpg
TripAdvisor recommends Hayahay


Shot from Hayahay Treehouse


hayahay+dumaguete.jpg
Hayahay Treehouses
7th Stop: Silliman Avenue (walked roughly 1 KM along Flores Ave from Hayahay Bar)

                -Looking for this Fried Ice Cream (Recommended by Pinoy Adventurista), 4 Flavors (Ube, Pandan,Mocha, Vanilla P55) Location Cristina St corner Silliman Ave
                -Had my Merienda at Scoobys (Popular Food Chain in Dumaguete)

Panda+ice+cream+dumaguete.jpg
Panda's Fried Ube Ice Cream


Luncheon de Sal @ Scoobys


8th Stop: Bought Pasalubongs at Handumanan (along Perdices Street)

                -keychains,ref magnets, souvenir shirts  and other handicrafts  
                -“Handumanan” Bisaya term for Remembrance
                -Also informed by the sales clerk that Dumaguete is implementing the City Ordinance 231: No Plastic Bags Policy

handumanan+dumaguete.jpg

Attended the 5PM Mass at Dumaguete Church. Dinner at Jollibee. Had a Massage. Sleep (No Data Available)



Tips and Information (Dumaguete)

-Dumaguete is now implementing a strict City Ordinance of No Distribution of Plastic Bags and No Smoking on Public Areas Policy. No Doubt , The City is very Clean! Good Job!
-Tricycles has no particular route at all, just tell your destination and they’ll bring you. Minimum fare is at P10.00,But if you feel that it’s more than the P10 Minimum KM  run, just give additionals and the driver will give you a sincere “Thank You” for that.
-Motorcycle Capital  of Philippines– Yup, Confirmed! A lot owned privately and others are for rent
-Dumaguete tagged as the City of Gentle People – Yup, Confirmed! Based on my Experience, If you asked for something they’re willing to help with a smile and that will be the start of conversation as if you’re his/hers long lost relative or friend and others will tell you stories. People are very friendly and they don’t take advantage of their tourist
-Other Tourist Spots near Dumaguete- Diving at Apo Island, Dolphin Watching in Bais, Whale Shark Watching in Oslob, Cebu. An Hour Boat Ride to the Beautiful Island Province of Siquijor.


Acknowledgment 

My 6th Solo Backpack Trip here in Dumaguete wouldn’t be possible without their help. Got ideas,guides from their Blogs.

 

1 comment: