Thursday, June 23, 2011

Traveling to Davao City (Solo)



How to Travel Solo in Davao City?



1st Time in Mindanao: Davao
Preparation before the trip: Printed Maps, Booked Accommodation, Itinerary,Budget
Days:4 Days/3Nights / Early AM Flight MNL-DVO-MNL
My Advantage: Davao’s Main Dialect is Bisaya #BISDAK ini
Airline: Zest Air Ticket Price: P500RT (Booked 2010- no fuel surcharge)

My 1st Solo Backpack Trip (Sa Mindanao Pa, Tarush Kesh!)

*One of my Backlogs, I’m sorry if I can’t provide the exact expenses. Always remember this “prices change without prior notice”.Hehehe. This travel was so 2011! Hope the Itinerary can help you and entertain with my stories. (Wrote and Updated by April 2015)
*My Photographer: My Tripod and My Camera (Setting Timer)


ITINERARY:


Day I:Arrival - Samal Island Tour
-NAIA- Davao International Airport 

-Davao International Airport
      -Picture at Davao International Airport Signage/ Big Durian Monument
      -I'm on Budget,didn’t take Taxi.Walked outside the airport compound and followed other passengers to the main hiway.
     -From the Main Highway,took the jeepney going to Downtown Davao (the location of my accommodation)

-My Hotel (my accommodation for 3 nights/located at San Pedro St Downtown Davao City)
     -Booked prior through email payment by arrival. My room was not available that time (around 8am) and I had an itinerary going to Samal Island. I left some of my stuff at their baggage area and checked in later.



davao+city+tour+solo.jpg
Maps,Printed Itineraries,Tickets ("Preparation Much!")


-Took breakfast at Jollibee San Pedro and asked directions (How to go to IGACOS bus terminal at Magsaysay Area? -Took the jeepney bound to Magsaysay)

-At Magsaysay Area (the landmarks are Fruit Stands and the Welcome Arc of Chinatown).There's no specific Terminal for IGACOS Bus (IGACOS ...stands for Island Garden City of Samal). Just joined the crowd and learned  that they were also waiting for the bus to pass by. Finally managed to ride the Bus and got a sit. In a split second the bus were already full and picking up passengers along the way.

    *If you’re on a budget or solo like me take IGACOS Bus going to Samal, but if you’re in a  group, you can ride a taxi going to SaSa Wharf Pier 11 there are boats going to Samal Island, or go Pier 11 and take a RORO ride to Samal Island (inform your taxi driver that you'll taking RORO).

    * Taxi drivers in Davao City are honest,friendly and gives exact change.

    *IGACOS Express Buses (the one I rode) will be transported also by a RORO vessel. Bus Fare includes the RORO ride.

Welcome to Samal Island (Duration : 10 – 4pm)
*My Samal Island IT was recommended by my friend visited the place a year ago.
-Got off at Babak district and negotiated (Habal-Habal Driver)re my Itineraries in Samal island.

      1.Montfort Bat Cave (Guinness World Record Holder)
           -Entrance Fee/ Guide/ Sightseeing the Bat Caves (5 Chambers)
         -Was Lunch time and he  recommended (“driver talaga,yamanin”) a decent place to eat at Babak District. He introduced this local delicacy “Halang-halang” (means Maanghang or Spicy). “Siyempre ang Lola mez ang nagpayables ng lafang namin”.Tapos free willy pa siya sa Subaru kez”Keribells!

montfort+bat+cave+samal+island+davao.jpg

montfort+bat+cave+samal+island+davao.jpg


        2.Hagimit Falls
            - Travel time from Babak District to the Falls will take you from 15- 30 mins
            - Arrived at Hagimit Falls (Entrance Fee/ Cottage or Table Fee ("No Cottage,dahil tipidity atashi dun na lang ako sa gilid-gilid")

            -My driver (pinanindigan ko na talaga na may driver akez) joined and watched over for my stuff and was also my photographer.Invited him to swim  but he declined (kase wala daw siya pamalit."In fairness effect naman fez ni kuya pwede na mabukelya pero wiz.. wa akez sa mood (choosy) at mega spluk talaga kami ng Bisaya dire,nagwonder siya porque learnie akez magspluk ng Bisaya eh Tagalog daw atashi.Ayun nagkwentuhan na kami!)
          -Freshen Up,Changed my clothes and head to my last destination in Samal Island – the Paradise Island Resort
hagimit+falls+samal+island+davao.jpg

hagimit+falls+samal+island+davao.jpg

hagimit+falls+samal+island+davao.jpg


      3. Paradise Island Resort
           -Settled my obligations to Kuya Driver( Paid P600- Pero mega asking pa si Kuya ng 1kyaw and 5 hash pero verum est kez yun lang naman ang fixed price.Tapat na! Then we parted ways ok naman siya at atashi!. Tipidity mode ON!
       
 *Paradise Island Resort
     -a Beach Resort. Recommended they have their own transportation going back to Davao City Mainland (so safe na ako hinde ko na kailangan bumalik sa RORO pier)

    - Paid the Entrance Fee, Sightseeing, Picture Taking, Exploring the place (they have Mini-Aviary, Recreational Facilities, the Beach facing geographically Mainland Davao etc.)

     *Changed my clothes to Swimming Attire but didn’t swim (“Ang Labo ko noh!. Tamaditis na atashi mag-anlaw kase! That’s why!. Basta photo-ops lang at sightseeing ng mga Otoko na mga Borta at Fez” Kontento na ako dun! Pa-V!”)

paradise+island+samal+davao.jpg

paradise+island+samal+davao.jpg

paradise+island+samal+davao.jpg

     -Time to go “Home away from my Home”. Rode the last boat trip to Mainland Davao (na naka-Board Shorts at White Shirt.Keri naman!.). From the dock,walked to the Main Highway and took a Public Transpo going back to Downtown Davao (“Siyempre may konting ligaw pero nakarating naman sa Hotel”. Syala Hotel!)

Missed Samal Island tourist spots - Maxima Resort, Pearl Farm Resort,Kaputian Beach, Talicud Beach.
 
-Back to My Hotel, Checked In and Unpacked my stuff,Freshen Up and checked my itinerary the “Must places where to eat”  in Davao City.

          -Places to Eat (Jacks Ridge (Matina), Banoks,Penongs, BBQ Boss,TAPS has several branches within Davao City)

-Dinner at Penongs in Matina Area (similar to Mang Inasal),at Matina Area,Went to Matina Square and tried Blugre’s  Durian Coffee ( “Anlasa? Alamin Niyo! Go na sa Davao City. A must Try!”).Had a relaxing massage at Matina area.Took the jeepney bound to Davao Downtown. ("Around 10-11pm na yata to,pero safe parin!")

-Back to my Hotel , It was a long day and Sleep…

penongs+davao+city.jpg

blugre+davao+city.jpg




Day II: Davao City Tour ( Philippine Eagle Center/ Malagos Garden/ Baywalk/ Crocodile Park/ Jack’s Ridge)

     - 2nd day itinerary will be a long day.Call this day as my “Sightseeing Tour”.From my Hotel along San Pedro Street, walked to Bangkerohan Market (where the location of Van Terminals going to Calinan District, Toril District of Davao City).No Breakfast yet
     -Philippine Eagle Center and Malagos Garden is located at Calinan District which is 45 mins away from Downtown Davao City.

          *Arrived at Calinan District, ate my breakfast (I missed this Bisaya Food “Takway”) and negotiated to a Motorcycle Driver going to Philippine Eagle Center (15 mins away from the Calinan Proper- Paid P30.One Way/No Waiting Time).If you’re in a group you can hire a tricycle or a van.There is no public transpo route going to the Philippine Eagle Center and Malagos Garden (no transpo? think so or was misinformed.hehehe) .Better if you have your own transpo.

     1.Philippine Eagle Center
          -Paid two Entrance Fees- Davao City Water District/Philippine Eagle Center
          -PEC is located at the Davao City Water District
          - Sightseeing and to see PAG-ASA (Famous Philippine Monkey Eating Eagle). Duration 30-45 mins
          -Bought some pasalubongs here (“Mas Morayta ditey compared to Downtown Davao..as of writing compared prices”)
 
eagle+center+davao+city.jpg


eagle+center+davao+city.jpg
Hi PAG-ASA

eagle+center+davao+city.jpg

      2.Malagos Garden Resort
          -How did I get there?. From the PEC I hailed a Motorcycle passing by ( “Di ko sure kung Habal-habal Driver siya,pero pinasakay niya ako eh and told my destination!. (“Pwede pala ako Makidnap noh.Kahit kanino sumasakay! Pero safe sa Davao City!”). Malagos Garden is just 1 km away from PEC.

          -If you’re a Nature Lover and “Laidback exena lang ang Peg! Ghostbusters na ditey!”. For more info visit their website here. I just did photo-ops,photo ops,non-stop! (Nakakalurkei ang isang spot ditey.check the pix na lang)


malagos+garden+resort+davao+city.jpg

malagos+garden+resort+davao+city.jpg

malagos+garden+resort+davao+city.jpg



malagos+garden+resort+davao+city.jpg

malagos+garden+resort+davao+city.jpg

malagos+garden+resort+davao+city.jpg

Back to Calinan District Proper, how did I get there? Rode a Tricycle (“Sure na pampasahero to!”). Then took a Van back to Davao City proper. Alighted at SM Davao Ecoland and ate my Lunch and asked directions to my next destination near the area- the Baywalk.

      3. Baywalk
      -How did I get there? Rode a pedicab from SM Ecoland ( “Tipidity Mode ON”. Haggling is the best policy). The Baywalk is just 1.5 km away from SM Ecoland.
       -Here you can find the Controversial Statue of David (“ According to stories,Im not sure kung trulalu. Mega-Protest daw and mga Conservative Groups daw dito at gusto nila na pasuotin ng Shorts si Bortang David”… Wiz di ko Bet! Pro-Nudity Akeztra Hahaha). And also they have their own version of Little Mermaid Statue (“ Feel ko nasa Land of Little Mermaid, Denmark at mega sing akez ng Part of that World”). A Mini-Zoo? (“Puro Ostriches lang naman!”). And the usual sight of a Baywalk….

baywalk+davao+city.jpg

baywalk+davao+city.jpg

baywalk+davao+city.jpg

baywalk+davao+city.jpg

      
baywalk+davao+city.jpg


4.Davao Crocodile Park/ Tribu KMindanawan
     -From the SM Ecoland (Matina Area), rode the Bus (Davao City- Tagum Route)that will take the Ma-a Diversion and Carlos Garcia Highway  and will pass by the Croc Park area  (a route suggested by a traffic enforcer since I was looking for the cheapest way.Taxi ride will cost me a fortune going to the Croc Park area.That’s How Davao City Big is. (“Little knowledge about Croc Park area,there’s a 1km pa pala from the main highway to the entrance of the park” Boom! Ayaw ko magwalkatash!. No choice kundi Taxi rin til the entrance pero mas less ang kyuyad! At buti have ng taxibells nun kase rare lang sa area na yun”)
     *Davao Crocodile Park
          -Paid the Entrance Fee (Good for 3 Attractions/Parks – Davao Crocodile Park, Tribu KMindanawan, and Davao Butterfly House). It’s already 5pm I opted not to visit the Butterfly House.
         - I saw “Pangil”- the largest and longest crocodile that time and visited the replica houses and villages of our Maranao Brothers at Tribu KMindanawan. At Davao Crocodile Park ,one kiosk selling burgers made of Crocodile Meat Patties (“Anlasa? Witchells ko nitry!”)



crocodile+park+davao+city.jpg

tribu+kmindanawan+davao+city.jpg

tribu+kmindanawan+davao+city.jpg

tribu+kmindanawan+davao+city.jpg


-From the Crocodile Park, I rode a taxi going to my next stop which is the Abreeza Mall (1st Ayala Owned Mall in Mindanao) where I’ll be catching up with my former officemate who is residing now in Davao City for good. We went to Jack’s Ridge together with her husband (“ OMG! I heard good feedbacks re Jack’s Ridge.I'm Excited! Ano ibig sabihin nito? Sponsored ba nila ang Lafang ko? Siyempre di ko nag-assume dahil hinde naman ako grad ng Assumption..Hahaha")

     5. Jack’s Ridge (A Resto-Area)
         * The Antipolo of Davao City, located at the Matina Hill, Overlooking the cemetery “este” Davao City Downtown pala.
         * Food is great and prices are reasonable (“ Ha? Food Critic ang peg! Eh Hinde naman ikaw nagbayad! Sponsored ka neng!” Tandaan mo yan!. Thank You to my friend!”)


jacks+ridge+davao+city.jpg



Back to my Hotel (“Hinatid pa ako ng Carousel ng friendship ko sa Hotel!” Syala ko talaga!”). I called it a Day/Night. It was a long day. Dead Tired. Need to Hit the Sack (Gumaganern! Asumera! Borlogs na!)


 Day III: Davao City Downtown Tour
    -This day should be dedicated to my Trip to Eden Nature Park at Toril District (45mins away from Davao Downtown) of Davao City but it rained hard for 2 hours so I decided to cancel my trip. 

*Breakfast at TAPS

I’ve spent my time buying souvenirs at the famous Pasalubong Center- the Aldevinco
 *Aldevinco Pasalubong Center (located near Ateneo de Davao University)
-          Where you can buy pasalubongs such as pashmina scarves,malong, key chains,bags,fans,durian and mangosteen candies etc.

*Gaisano Mall of Davao (Malling with my friend)

*Davao City Heritage Sites (San Pedro Church,Legislative Center,Rizal Park,Quezon Park,Davao City Hall and the old street of San Pedro)

*Bangkerohan Market ( Here you can buy Pomelos,Durian Fruit (Fresh and Frozen)

*People’s Park (Kublai Milan Art Works)

*Dinner at BBQ Boss (The Best Barbeque at reasonable price)

Here are the pictures:
taps+davao+city.jpg

aldevinco+davao+city.jpg

ateneo+de+davao+city.jpg

aldevinco+davao+city.jpg

san+pedro+davao+city.jpg

marker+san+pedro+davao+city.jpg

downtown+davao+city.jpg

davao+city+hall.jpg

bangkerohan+davao+city.jpg

bangkerohan+davao+city.jpg

peoples+park+davao+city.jpg

barbeque+boss+davao+city.jpg


Back to my Hotel, Started packing my stuff for my early flight tomorrow. Had a relaxing massage at Downtown Area. Sleep.Woke up 3AM. Taxi Ride to Davao City International Airport (P190). Bye Davao by 6AM

*One of my Backlogs, I’m sorry if I can’t provide the exact expenses. Always remember this disclaimer “prices change without prior notice”.Hehehe. This travel was so 2011! Hope the Itinerary can help you and entertain with my stories. (Wrote and Updated by April 2015)
*My Photographer: My Tripod and My Camera (Setting Timer)
If you have questions, feel free to comment below

               

     

        









No comments:

Post a Comment